Hi, my name is Adrian and welcome to Project 200SX - This website is a record of a Nissan 200SX S15 being conververted from a road car into a race car. I am not a professional mechanic or self professed Nissan 200sx S15 guru but I have owned and maintained many cars in my life. Current cars include a Truimph Dolomite Sprint (Road Car) and a much loved Triumph MK1PI (Race Car) - My everyday road cars are a Mazda RX8 and a Landrover Discovery TD5 (tow car for the race cars).
The biggest change was moving from 'old school' to 'new school' automotive technology - Most of the knowledge I have gained building this car came from endless hours of internet research, Google has the answer to everything
Why Nissan 200sx S15
In January 2011 South East Queensland was washed away by one of the worst floods in history. Thousands of houses were flooded as the rivers burst their banks. The Bremer River in Ipwsich came close to 20 meters deep at the peak of the flood.
Houses were not the only victims, many cars suffered a similar fate and for several weeks after the floods, paddocks full of flood damaged cars were auctioned off.
Any car that had more than wet carpet was deemed to be an unrepairable right off and could never be registered again. This meant that these cars were only suitable for wrecking or turning into track cars.
With a budget of $5000 my plan was to go to the auctions and obtain a flood damaged car that would make a good race car, And the winner was a red Nissan 200 SX S15
200SX Differential Cover
I acquired an aftermarket diff cover with the extra oil capacity thinking it would be a good safety measure. These things are not a very well thought out design and suffer from one huge issue. The baffles on the inside are all in the wrong place. The vertical plates are too far in from the edge of the diff center and the upper most horizontal plate is too close to the breather pipe. This results in a lot of oil being flicked up into the top most recess where the breather is located. It only takes a few mm of oil to get flicked up into that tiny recess and it starts blowing oil out the breather. It would loose about half a litre of oil over a week end event and make a huge mess under the car.
November - 2015: All the interior and engine bay had to be removed for the roll cage to fitted, So as part of the refit i decided to replace the standard booster/tandem master cylinder with a dual master cylinder and balance bar. I have used a Bicknell master cylinder and balance bar assembly which mounts at a 60deg angle to clear the strut tower. Fabrication of the mounting plate for the master cylinder and balance bar assembly is from 8mm 6061 aluminium.
October - 2017: Added an extra brace to the dual master cylinder mounts to help stop deflection of the firewall and the strut tower. Because of the staggered locations of the master cylinders, under heavy braking they push against the side of strut tower which bends out of the way. It also starts to push the fire wall inwards. Adding a brace from the fire wall to master cylinders removed most of the deflection and made the brake pedal a lot firmer.